Emilie Winkelmann

1875 Aken/Elbe – 1951 Hovedissen bei Bielefeld

The Berlinische Galerie maintains part of the estate of the architect Emilie Winkelmann. She was the first woman to study architecture in Germany and ran her own architectural office in Berlin. The majority of her works were lost during a fire in her offices during the second wolrd war; only a small amount of material that she had previously lent to a friend survived and ultimately arrived at the museum, although indirectly. She studied architecture as a guest auditor at the Technical University in Hanover from 1902 onwards - women were not accepted as full students until 1909. Even an attempt to register for courses under the name of Emil Winkelmann failed. After she was forbidden to sit her diploma examination despite meeting requirements, she established an architectural office in Berlin without qualifications in 1908; at its height, this employed 18 people. Up until the Second World War, she built a number of city villas and country houses for well-known clients in and around Berlin. One outstanding example is the Luisenstift, a lyceum for girls, which was founded by Queen Luise. During the war, Winkelmann found refuge with a client’s family in the Westphalian village of Hovedissen near Bielefeld. She continued to participate in post-war reconstruction work well into her old age.

Material: Plans, drawings, printed works, photographs, records (c. 90 items)

 

Contact

Ursula Müller
Curator of Architecture
Tel +49 (0)30-789 02-822
E-Mail

 
 
 
Copyright © 2011 Berlinische Galerie. All rights reserved.