Johannes Niemeyer, Vierfamilienhaus der Chemischen Fabrik Buckau, 1925, Ausführungsentwurf, Kohle auf Transparentpapier, 64,5 x 90,5 cm, Schenkung aus Privatbesitz 1985, © VG Bildkunst 2011, Foto:Udo Hesse, Hermann Kiessling

Johannes Niemeyer

1889 Halle – 1980 Steinstücken, Potsdam

Encouraged by architect Theodor Fischer, Johannes Niemeyer began to study architecture at the Technical University Munich in 1908. After 1913 he submitted works to various architectural competitions, but without success. A serious illness and the outbreak of the First World War prevented him from beginning a career as an architect, and so from 1919 to 1920 he completed an apprenticeship as a carpenter at the “German Workshops” in Dresden-Hellerau. He was then contracted to teach at Burg Giebichenstein in Halle, where he worked until 1924. After only a few realised building contracts, he turned away from architecture in order to devote himself to painting as from 1928. His highly imaginative architectural designs are characterised by objectivity and constructivism.

The estate of painter and architect Johannes Niemeyer is an important holding, ideally interpreting the concept of interdisciplinary work fundamental to the Berlinische Galerie. His pastel works supplement the collections of fine art, his nature photographs are assigned to the photographic collection, and the architectural drawings – which demonstrate the tendencies of “New Objectivity” in the twenties – have been integrated into the architectural collection.

Collection: plans, drawings, pastel works, watercolours (ca. 1,200 items)

 

Contact

Ursula Müller
Curator of Architecture
Tel +49 (0)30-789 02-822
E-Mail

 
 
 
Copyright © 2011 Berlinische Galerie. All rights reserved.