1907 Berlin – 1999 Berlin
As a nine-year-old boy, Klaus Müller-Rehm was so impressed by Hans Poelzig’s conversion of the theatre Großes Schauspielhaus that he determined to become an architect. He studied under Hans Poelzig, Heinrich Tessenow and Erich Blunck at the TU Berlin. After his diploma in 1931, he was employed by the Prussian Building and Finance Direction in Berlin and was army building director during the war. He was appointed professor at the College of Fine Arts Berlin in 1946.
Among others, Klaus Müller-Rehm was responsible for the development of modern housing construction in Berlin after the end of the Second World War. Numerous designs for small houses and economical apartment buildings during the post-war period are evidence of his effective use of valuable building materials. Together with Gerhard Siegmann, he created his first major project for the building exhibition “Interbau” in the Hansaviertel in 1955/56. This high-rise “Giraffe” fulfilled all modern requirements for small apartments. Into old age, he continued to experiment with types of high-rise, designing the “Sternhaus“, the “Tanzendes Punkthaus“ and also realising large-scale housing projects along the Heerstraße and in Gropiusstadt. The architecture collection acquired his estate in 1994; it contains models and drawings concerning more than 60 building projects since 1948.
Material: Plans, drawings, models, photographs, records, printed works (c. 2360 items)