Ursula Sax (*1935 in Backnang/ Baden-Württemberg) studied from 1950 to 1960 at the Staatliche Akademie der Bildenden Künste in Stuttgart and at the Hochschule für Bildende Künste in Berlin, where she joined Hans Uhlmann’s master class. In the decades that followed she accompanied her own artistic work with teaching sculpture at the colleges of fine arts in Berlin, Braunschweig and, until the year 2000, Dresden.
She has been awarded numerous well-known prizes, and in Berlin many of her works can be seen in public spaces, the most prominent of them surely the 50-metre spiral steel sculpture Looping at the trade fair grounds, which she made in 1992.
These close biographical links with the city no doubt encouraged the artist to donate a substantial body of work to the Berlinische Galerie which has greatly enriched its collection. The selection on display offers insights into an impressively versatile œuvre, ranging from stone and wooden sculpture, via works in metal and clay, to clothing and masks used for performance art.