Micha Ullman, Zvi Hecker, Eyal Weizmann: Blatt, 1997, Foto: Jason Kassab-Bachi, © Micha Ullmann, Zvi Hecker, Eyal Weizmann

Micha Ullman (* 1939) / Zvi Hecker (* 1931) / Eyal Weizmann (* 1970)
Blatt, 1997

 


The liberal Synagogue, built in 1891, used to stand at 48-50 Lindenstraße (today called Axel-Springer-Straße). Set on fire on November 9th, 1938, and gradually further destroyed, it was demolished in 1956. The present memorial is the outcome of a competition sponsored by the Barmer Insurance Company. The simple benches, which are arranged exactly according to their original positions in the ground plan of the synagogue, symbolize one page (“Blatt”) of the prayer book. As in the text of the Talmud, many layers of time coincide: in the benches themselves the past appears; in the bushes and trees that grow over the benches, we see the destruction of this past; finally, the way for fire trucks that winds its way through the memorial represents the present, in the form of the Berlin building code. A “story of loss.”

Blatt
1997
Concrete benches
each about 50 cm high,Total area 3000 x 2000 cm
Barmer Insurance Company
Memorial open M – Th from 6 AM to 6 PM, F from 6 AM to 3 PM

 
Copyright © 2011 Berlinische Galerie. All rights reserved.